How many times did you try vegetable kolhapuri at a restaurant? Was it not very delicious? But I found that veg kolhapuri very magical because it can force a non vegetarian to choose a veg item over non vegetarian dish, haha. Being a non vegetarian, I personally experienced the same thing. Restaurant style veg kolhapuri masala is such kind of vegetarian dish what can turn non vegetarian person into pure vegetarian.
Vegetable kolhapuri is a main course dish in Maharashtrian cuisine. Most Maharashtrian dishes are spicy, particularly if you think about Maharashtrian street food then you can understand all those foods are spicy and always serve with extra chilies. I can name a few what are coming in my mind right now like vada pav, pav bhaji, usal pav, misal pav, pani puri etc. But Kolhapuri dishes are always considered one level higher within Maharashtrian cuisine in terms of spices and chilies.
My first visit to Kolhapur, Maharashtra …
I had an opportunity to try a Kolhapuri dish in Kolhapur, Maharashtra and so I tried misal pav that too at food stall near Kolhapur inter state bus stop. I found that super spicy and too hot because of extra red chilli powder was added there, not only that they even served roasted green chilies along with that misal pav. Food was so delicious but I found it difficult to manage because of chilies. But in other places Kolhapuri dishes are normally not so hot and definitely those are spicy everywhere because that is there specialty.
My first try veg Kolhapuri masala …
Veg kolhapuri is such a dish what I tried first in Delhi then of-course in Mumbai. It was always my favorite in Maharashtrian cuisine and I love to prefer this vegetable kolhapuri masala over any non vegetarian dish. I always try to reduce my consumption of non vegetarian food and these kolhapuri dishes always help me. Paneer kolhapuri is also one of my favorite but normally paneer is added to this veg kolhapuri so I love to make this vegetable version instead of pure paneer based dish.
Is vegetable kolhapuri masala good?
Though this food is spicy but that not means it is all about taste. This veg kolhapuri is also healthy, various seasonal fresh vegetables are used to make this heavenly food. Cauliflower, carrot, french beans etc are added in this dish. I personally prefer to add mushrooms in this food. It is also cooked in butter what makes this more delicious. In case you want to add less spice then you can do this because that is why everybody want to try their favorite restaurant style food at home so that they can make it more delicious according to their taste.
Vegetable kolhapuri masala recipe
- 1 cup cauliflower (gobi) (patta gobi in absence of phool gobi)
- ½ cup carrot, cut into long pieces
- ⅔ cup potato, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup french beans, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ⅔ cup tomato, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup small pieces of capsicum
- ⅔ cup small paneer cubes
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon refined oil for frying vegetables
- 1 large onion, finely chopped into pieces
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste (lahsun)
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1.5 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Pinches of saffron (kesar), optional
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 medium bay leaf (tej patta)
- Pinches of nutmeg (jaiphal)
- Pinches of asafoetida (Hing)
- 2.5 teaspoon feenugeek leaves (crushed)/kasuri methi
- Salt as needed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup full cream milk
- Boil or steam carrot, cauliflower, potato, french beans
- Then heat oil in a cooking pot and saute all boiled vegetables along with others (cashew nuts, tomato, capsicum & paneer)
- Take everything in a separate bowl
- Now add butter in the cooking and heat till it it melted completedly
- Add finely chopped onion, saute then add ginger paste & garlic paste and cook till raw aroma goes away
- Then add spices (cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, saffron, garam masala, bay leaf, nutmeg powder, asafoetida, kasuri methi), stir continuously to mix properly, add water and cook for next 5 minutes
- Now add salt and all fried vegetables and mix those with all spices and cook over low fire for another 3-5 mins
- Now pour 1 cup of full cream milk and boil till gravy reduced to desired thickness