Sometimes we like to eat healthy and clean food like vegetable momo. It’s so tasty, soft and healthy too. Do you too? The answer is definitely yes! But clean food? What is that? 🙂 I mean the healthy food is okay. That everyone will agree but clean food? Is there anybody who likes dirty food? Then why I am saying veg momos are clean food?
Vegetable momo & its stuffing
Okay don’t get annoyed, what I mean to say is, something easy to cook and needs fewer ingredients. Veg momos are such kind of food what you can make within few minutes and you need very fewer ingredients to make this healthy and clean vegetable momo. You just need some chopped seasonal vegetables, soy sauce and refined wheat flour (that is maida). There are some traditional & some essential vegetables in momo. Cabbage is one of such traditional and preferred vegetable for momo and without cabbage, momo will not be so tasty.
Experiments on veg momos
Though you can always do experiment with various other vegetables excluding cabbage what I also tried that experiment was failed. So I always add cabbage in momo and good thing is that nowadays cabbage is available throughout the year. There are some cabbage heads what were stored in cold storage and gets sold during off season but there is some cabbage what is cultivated during off season. Here the taste of later one is better than former (what I experienced). After cabbage, you are free to add any other vegetables to this clean food.
Momo and its types
Momo is a dumpling. It is also prepared with various stuffing items and based on that we have different types of mo mo food. There is another ingredient what you must use which is onion. You need onion for vegetable momo, paneer momo and also for chicken momo. I would say, for chicken momo, onion is an essential item to add. You need to fry chopped onion first then add all other vegetables including cabbage. Sometimes I prefer to boil chopped cabbage before frying but nowadays I do not do this. Beans, carrot etc are very popular vegetables which are best suited for its stuffing material.
Veg Momos & momo’s chutney
Without momo’s chutney these veg momos are not so good but still, you can have it and enjoy this with tomato sauce or pickle. In such case, I would suggest you add black pepper powder & aamchur (dry mango powder) when you are preparing vegetable for its stuffing. I personally prefer to add both in veg momos even if I have that special chilli garlic chutney for this.
I like this food very much because it needs very less oil and I am free to add any seasonal vegetables what I like. I just need to half fry all vegetables and steaming will take care of rest part of cooking. So it helps to keep intact maximum nutrition value of all vegetables.
When I am writing this awesome food recipe, I am actually listening to music and enjoying soy granules masala with momos chutney & noodles. I will definitely share that recipe too in near future and will let you know a nice story behind that dish.
Vegetable momo recipe
- Refined wheat flour / Maida - 1.5 cups
- Chopped cabbage / patta gobi - 2.5 cups
- Chopped carrot / gajar - ½ cup
- Chopped beans - ½ cup
- Onion - ⅔ cup
- Soy sauce - 2 tsp
- ">Black pepper - 1.5 tsp (optional)
- Dry mango powder - 1.5 tsp (optional)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - as needed
- Water - as needed
- Mix maida, salt (to taste), 1 tsp hot oil and mix well, then add water to make a soft dough. Keep that dough aside for further use.
- Now heat oil in a cooking pan and add chopped onion to fry
- Now add all chopped vegetables and fry but do not fry too much as you will steam these, add salt too (to taste)
- Add dry mango powder and black pepper powder and mix well. Though these two spices are optional, you can skip this two if you want to get a traditional taste of momos. But if you do not have momos chutney then I would recommend these to add
- Now add soy sauce and stir well
- Now you have done with making vegetable stuffing for momo
- Now take flour dough what you make earlier, make 10 -12 small balls and roll to give circular shape
- Add vegetables to each circular piece and close each conrners of thar small piece to keep vegetables inside
- When all pieces are ready then use steam cooker (I used rice cooker), add water to generate steam and place all raw momos in it
- Steam those for 12-15 minutes
- Serve hot with momos chutney
Vegetable momo is so healthy and awesome tasty, you want to have some veg momos even if you have a full stomach.
Vegetable momo and me
I personally always love these veg momos and even I ate veg momos at night as my dinner too. I used to consume a lot of veg momos in Delhi for dinner. It was healthy, less oily & less costly. I mean used to buy those for Rs 25 for plat of veg momos (8 pieces).
Vegetable momo * Veg momos * Delicious food momos
Thanks for visiting this page for tasty healthy vegetable momo recipe or my favourite recipe. Though I am not a vegetarian but still, I prefer veg food like this because I find this less clumsy and delicious food. Even I can have this from any local street food vendor because less oil is used, so less chance to consume unhealthy oil with veg momos. But this veg momos recipe made my life easy and I can have tasty & healthy veg momos anytime at home. Now lets have some vegetable momo.