Raita is a very popular & common North Indian side dish. This is very much effective during the summer to beat the heat. You will always have a lot of options in this side dish. Tomato raita is one of the most preferable raita dishes. If you are having a Punjabi meal or rice-based meal then this tomato raita is most enjoyable.
This tomato raita is really an awesome side dish to have but people who do not like raw tomato they will not definitely like this raita. SHOCKED? Yes, there are some unfortunate people who actually do not like raw tomato. I know some of those people. They actually do not like raw tomato in salad too. If it is your situation then definitely you are not going to enjoy this tomato raita. Otherwise, most people on this earth will enjoy this awesome tomato based raita.
Though there are so many variations of raita and plain raita, boondi raita and cucumber raita are my favorite but for having veg pulao or biryani, tomato-based raita is the best option according to me.
I have tried similar tomato-based raita at Rohini, Delhi. It was a restaurant named Apki Rasoi. That restaurant was my favorite and I often love to have my meals over the weekend. My favorite meal was there pea rice and chole with raita and salad. They often served cucumber raita, onion raita, boondi raita or tomato raita along with chole chawal.
Tomato raita recipe
- 1 bowl of yogurt/curd
- ½ cup finely chopped tomato
- ½ cup water
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 Roasted cumin powder
- Black salt as needed
- A handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- A few mint leaves
- Add yogurt/curd and water in a blender, add spices (black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder) and salt
- Now blend it to make smooth raita
- Then add finely chopped red tomato pieces, green chillies, handful coriander leaves and mint leaves
- Spread a pinch of roasted cumin and serve this raita with roti or rice