This spinach soup is not for all people. This particular spinach soup is only for those people who are mad about soup and think their day is incomplete without having a bowl of hot & delicious soup. Are you belong to that category? Think again. Haha! Don’t be so scared if you do not belong to that category then you will be very soon. 🙂
Okay no more talking, let’s make and enjoy spinach soup with a big smile.
Check some other soups – red lentils soup, oat soup with mixed vegetables, cauliflower-soup, creamy soup with tomatoes, simple onion soup, mushroom soup with scrambled paneer, creamy mix veg soup, spicy carrot soup, red beet root soup, sweet soup, green peas soup etc.
Leafy vegetables & spinach soup
Many people like this soup so much. But some people also do not prefer it. Perhaps they have tasted very bad spinach (palak) soup earlier or they simply do not like spinach leaves. But I think spinach is such a leafy vegetable that is very widely accepted across the world. Otherwise, very fewer people prefer any other leafy vegetable except spinach. In India, there are many other leafy vegetables which are also popular, particularly in West Bengal. There are almost hundreds leafy vegetables available in Bengal and people often use those to make a meal. Cauliflower plant leaves, chickpeas plant leaves, Amaranth leaves, peas plant leaves, fenugreek plant leaves and much more. Shocked? 🙂
Let’s have palak soup
Here I have also added roasted cumin powder as it’s smell works great with spinach leaves. Ginger and garlic paste is one of the most common basic ingredients for any soup and I also have a tendency to add ginger garlic in any soup whenever it is possible and tasted good.
But two things are against spinach soup, one is dark green color and the second one is little bitter taste in some leaves. These two you can avoid by adding fresh cream and to some extent with butter also. It also brings a shine look in that soup also. Lemon juice is absolutely optional, I added here as I like this, as simple it is.
Spinach soup recipe
- Spinach / palak - 1 cup, chopped
- Ginger / adrak - ½ inch
- Garlic / lahsun - 3 cloves
- Green chilli / hara mirch - 1 piece
- Roasted cumin/bhuna jeera powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper/kali mirch powder - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Fresh cream - 1 tbsp
- Butter - 2 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Water - 2.5 cup
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add ginger and garlic paste and fry
- Then add green chilli paste, roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder and mix with ginger garlic paste
- Add spinach puree * (or paste) when ginger garlic paste turns to light brown
- Now fry all those ingredients for the next 5 minutes, till it releases oil
- Add lemon juice and pour water and boil for next 5-6 minutes
- Now filter spinach pulp and take smooth spinach soup in a big bowl
- Now add cream and butter and mix with hot smooth spinach soup
- Soup making is done, now serve in soup bowls
Use spinach stock (water in which you boiled spinach) for pouring in soup instead of normal water
Check some more soups here. Also try some other dishes – delicious upma, malvani poha, usal pav, sattu paratha, paneer kofta, paneer do-pyaza etc.