The pointed gourd is a popular vegetable in India. Different people from different region use this vegetable to make different dishes across the country. Sorse potol is one of those traditional dishes. This parval sabji with mustard paste is a popular traditional dish in Bengal.
Sorse potol is the best to have with rice. Some people like to have this along with rice & lentils curry (plain dal curry). Most Bengali people love to have some fries, flitters along with dal curry & plain rice. So it brings a different taste to have this instead of any other plain fries (brinjal, potato etc) or flitters (daler bora, beguni, pakoda etc).
Though there are another special shorshe potol posto recipe in traditional Bengali food item. But that dish is based on posto (khuskhush or poppy seeds). That shorshe potol posto comes with thick gravy. There posto is used more as compared to shorshe.
But here in this sorse potol recipe, sorse is used more than posto. It is a dry side dish to have with plain rice & simple letil curry (dal). This item is my favorite and I used to eat this during summer days since my childhood.
This awesome parval sabji (sorse potol) is famous in both West Bengal and Bangladesh. I also like this sorse potol a lot. I often have this at my home. This shorshe potol recipe is very simple, easy to make pointed gourd dish.
Sorse potol recipe
- 8 pointed gourds/parval/potol
- 1.5 tablespoon mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon posto/khus khus/poppy seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Salt as needed
- Mustard oil as needed (for frying)
- Cut tip of the pointed gourds, peel, now cut lengthwise from each end/tip making 90 degree difference between two cuts, do not make it 4 separate pieces
- Remove seeds from pointed gourds as much as possible
- Now heat oil in a kadai (cooking pot), add mustard paste, poppy seeds paste, salt and red chilli powder and fry for next 1-2 minutes
- Now take it in a bowl and rest it till temperature dropped
- Then fill the pointed gourd with that fried paste and then deep fry those pointed gourds till it is cooked perfectly