Rajma chawal is not just a food. It is something more than that. It always comes with a lot of memories & North Indian flavor. Delicious Punjabi rajma masala served with rice always brings happiness & good old memories. Though it is North Indian dish (particularly a Punjabi cuisine) but nowadays most people across the country enjoy this super delicious mouthwatering Punjabi style rajma masala with rice.
Rajma chawal is one of the most favorite vegetarian food in North Indian states. Like any other beans & lentils, it is also a great source of protein. Rajma chawal is often included in lunch or dinner menu. Many many grow up so many memories of fun with family members & that homemade rajma chawal cooked by mother. Nothing can be more enjoyable than this. Delicious Punjabi rajma masala and something in rice like jeera rice, pea rice, onion rice, plain rice etc are great combinations of food. This is such popular combination food. AND I would say that probably there will be nobody who did not try rajma chawal in his/her childhood in North India.
Rajma masala with rice & me
But I am not a North Indian guy but still, I enjoy this Punjabi rajma masala and rice. These two are awesome together. Though I have never tried this in my childhood but within a few, after staying in Delhi I developed my taste and relation with rajma chawal. First time when I enjoyed rajma chawal in 2009. I ate this outside my office during lunch hour because there is no other option for rice. So I had to eat this. Onion & cucumber were spread over rajma chawal along with a big piece of butter. I was too hungry and the food was too delicious. So that is why I could still remember the day.
Made Rajma masala first time in Delhi
I learned cooking Punjabi rajma masala from one of my office colleagues. I went to his house with him. He wanted to cook something rather than buying it from a restaurant. I thought it would be a complete disaster but he was confident and informed me that he made rajma chawal so many times earlier. He cooked Punjabi rajma chawal and helped him. It was good in taste and not only that he made this within 30 mins. It was probably the first time I cooked something other than Bengali cuisine, I mean to say, I helped. After that, I also tried this after a few months. I tried to make it perfect according to my taste too.
How to make rajma with cream at home easily?
Punjabi rajma masala recipe
- 1 cup kidney beans/rajma
- 2 onions, medium size
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2.5 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- 1.5 teaspoon garam masala
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- Wash kidney beans and then soak kidney beans in water for approx 10 hours
- Now boil it in a pressure cooker till 6-7 whistles (preserve stock-water for further use)
- Then heat butter in a kadai and add cumin seeds, garlic paste & ginger paste and saute till raw aroma goes away
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, hing, garam masala and salt, now stir to mix with other spices
- Now add finely chopped onion and tomatoes and cook till it releases oil
- Add cooked kidney beans and combine with spices and cook for another 3-4 mins
- Now pour stock water what is used for boiling kidney beans, add some more if needed and boil for next 6-7 mins, adjust gravy
- Then add fresh cream and mix
- Now serve this with plain rice or jeera rice