Obsession is not limited to certain things., rather I would say its reach is wide. Some people are obsessed with making money, some people are obsessed with new exciting ideas, some helpless people are obsessed by healthy eating & dieting and whereas some talented people are obsessed about perfection. But have you ever heard someone is obsessed about the pickle? No? Yes? Okay, some may have heard too. But it is true some people are obsessed ab the ut pickle, they never can realize about their obsession., but their friends & relatives can sense this if they notice that properly. If you know someone who likes pickle that much then offer them achari paneer in lunch or dinner.
Pickle has its own flavor of a lot of roasted spices with other ingredients. It has a very strong flavor that makes it special.
Paneer is very popular food in India (preferably in North India) and paneer dishes are most preferred food for vegetarians. There are so many other paneer dishes, you have tried and some of those recipes are also shared in this website also. But what if such pickle flavor is added with paneer and make a special dish. It must be delicious. Right?
I was also so excited when I first time tasted achari paneer at a road side dhaba at Sonepat, Haryana and after that also tried at many other places. I also asked those restaurants people to know that recipe but most of them have their own versions of achari paneer. You may find variation in spices, chilies, oil richness, sweetness etc.
Then I made that home too. It was rich, spicy and very tasty. Now pickle is most common item what everyone likes. So its not difficult to make. Once you made roasted spices powder then you can have achari paneer very often at home.
Achari paneer recipe
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 25 mins
Yield : 4 people
Main ingredients :
Paneer & pickle spices (achar masala)
- Roasted spices powder (pickle masala ) – 1.5 tsp
- Ginger paste / adrak – 1 tsp
- Onion / pyaz – 1 medium size (chopped)
- Tomatoes / tamatar – 2 medium size (puree)
- Paneer 200 gm
- Curd / dahi – ⅓ cup
- Red chili powder / lal mirch powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder / haldi – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Heat sunflower oil in a flat pan and add ginger paste
- Now add chopped onion and saute till it turns to brown
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder & salt as needed to cook well
- Now add chopped tomatoes and stir to mix with all ingredients
- Make thick gravy and add curd too
- Add water and stir to mix well and allow to start boiling for 3- minutes
- Add all paneer cubes carefully, so that shapes of paneer cubes keep intact and boil again for 3 minutes
- Switch off flame and serve hot.
If you like paneer dishes then try some more paneer dishes, kadai paneer, paneer butter masala, paneer bhurji, shahi paneer, paneer masala – these are traditional paneer dishes and people prefer these dishes so much.