Rezala curry is generally a non-vegetarian dish. If you have landed here for chicken rezala curry then I am sorry. But I believe that paneer rezala curry is also an awesome vegetarian dish. People love this Bengali dish for its thick white yogurt based curry.
If you want to know “What is rezala curry?” or How does it taste then I would say that you have to try this first.
But in case you are not living in Bengal and such rezala curry is not available at a restaurant in your location. Then I would say in short that it is also very flavourful hot & sour curry based dish. This dish is normally a nonvegetarian dish so you will hardly find paneer rezala in Bengali style at a restaurant but this flavorful mouthwatering paneer based dish is often served at various Bengali marriage reception party. I think most Bengali people tried this paneer rezala curry at such Bengali wedding reception party. People enjoy this item with both rice & roti (Indian bread).
This is one of the most authentic Bengali dishes. It is introduced into a Bengali cuisine during the Mogul era. Rezala curry is a very special fusion of Mughlai & Bengali food. Rezala curry is very much aromatic & spicy dish and surprisingly different one from any other Mughlai dishes. Traditionally this food used to be prepared with chicken or mutton but later on paneer rezala curry was introduced in Bengali cuisine and many Bengali people love this food so much. Though it is a Mughlai style food but it is not so popular in other parts of the country. But still, it is a well-known food in some parts of Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand & Assam. So if you belong to those states then you may have heard about this food. Did you?
I have never visited Bangladesh but I think it is also equally popular there as it is in West Bengal, India. My Bangladeshi readers can leave a comment below and share their opinion & experience too. Is paneer rezala curry also popular there? Or mostly people prefer mutton or chicken rezala curry?
Delhi was the capital of Mughal empire but I never found this awesome food across the city. Nobody even heard about this food too. So I think it is definitely a fusion of Mughal & Bengali cuisine and now it became an authentic Bengali food just like any other Bengali food. Paneer rezala curry is its vegetarian version. What do you think? Do you feel an empty stomach? Are you feeling hungry? Haha!
Paneer rezala curry recipe in Bengali style
- 150 gm paneer (cut into 12 pieces)
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 3 pieces finely chopped green chillies
- Spices (2 cardamoms, 2 cinnamons, 4 cloves, 2 bay leaves, pinches of nutmeg, 2 red chilies)
- 1.5 teaspoons rose water
- Magic white paste (2 teaspoons poppy seeds paste, 2 teaspoons cashew nuts paste, 1 teaspoon char magaz)
- ½ cup yogurt
- Salt as needed
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ tablespoon ghee
- Heat oil & ghee in a cooking pan, add ginger paste & green chillies and saute
- Then add spices and saute till you get nice aroma of all spices, also add rose water
- Then add magic white paste (poppy seeds paste, cashew nuts paste, pinches of nutmeg,char magaz paste) & salt and stir continuously till it releases oil
- Now pour ½ cup yogurt and milk then let it start boiling
- Boil till gravy become thicker then add paneer pieces and cook for another 2 minutes
So are you ready to try homemade paneer rezala recipe in Bengali style? It is delicious & a very special Bengali vegetarian dish.