Paneer momo is very popular in North India, particularly in NCR region it is preferred by many food-lovers. Though momos are widely available in many other parts and people also like it, but if you talk about paneer momo then it is only Northern India where you can find a lot of people preferred paneer momos over any other kind of momos (veg-momo, chicken momo etc). Steamed paneer momo is one of my favorite evening snacks, sometimes even I like to consider it as my dinner, haha. It is because of taste, price and health. I mean it is so simple, less oily and delicious food comes at a very less price.
You can even see thousands of road side momo stall in Delhi itself. Almost in every market place, you can see at-least one momo stall. Most of those momo sellers are from Nepal, far-north India or north east India. They offer very delicious momos with three varieties (veg -momo, paneer momo and chicken-momo). chicken momo is also very easy to make because here you just need to add shredded chicken, onion and some other ingredients. I used to buy 8 pieces of chicken momos at Rupees 30 only but this rate was in 2011. I hope it is still available at reasonable price.
It is also available at a very fair price in Kolkata. But still, I prefer to make this at home anytime and as per my choice. Mostly in paneer momo, there is no vegetable is added, except at a few number of stalls but I prefer to add vegetable according to my choice and season. But I always maintain an adequate quantity of paneer in stuffing item, green onions are also good instead of using cabbage but green onions are not so widely available throughout the year. So when I make it during winter I prefer to add green onions as I like the combination of paneer & green onions.
Even in chicken momo you can find green onion but I prefer only onion in chicken momos along with chicken and some other ingredients. What do you say? Do you like green onions in momos? But whatever you will add in stuffing material if it is not served with hot chilli garlic special momo sauce. Without this sauce, it is never so delicious. So you should have that sauce at home or you can make that hot chilli garlic sauce at home too and enjoy fullest at home.
Paneer momos recipe
- Refined wheat flour/maida - 1.5 cup
- Paneer (cottage cheese) - 200 gm
- Cabbage / patta gobi - 1 cup, chopped
- Onion / pyaz - 2 medium size
- Cumin / jeera - 2 tsp, powder
- Black pepper/kali mirch - 1 tsp, powder
- Green chillies/ hara mirch - 3 pieces
- Ginger/adrak - 1.5 tsp
- Vinegar - 2 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Refined oil - ¾ tbsp
- First mix maida, salt and oil and add water to make soft dough, now keep it aside for further use
- Heat oil in a cooking pan and add ginger paste, chopped green chillies, cumin powder, black pepper powder and saute for 1 minute
- Then add onion pieces and fry till it becomes soft
- Now add finely chopped cabbage and cook on low flame for next 3-4 minutes and also cover the cooking pan
- Then add vinegar and salt
- Now add raw scrambled paneer and mix with all other ingredients, cook it for next 5 minutes and stir after each 30 seconds
- Then take all fired stuff in a bowl and let it be cool
- By this time take flour dough what you make earlier, make 10 -12 small balls and roll to give circular shape
- Now take each flour made circular piece and put some cooked stuffing item and now put all edges closer and press with your finger to keep stuffing item inside & cover it with flour made small & thin circular piece
- Now boil water in your steamer and keep raw momos over it and steam it for 15-20 minutes
This steamed paneer momo recipe is so simple and around half an hour you can make 10-12 momos at your place.