“Onion soup? Yummmy…” | “Onion soup? Yakkkk” whatever will be your reaction but if you never tasted onion soup then you must give this dish a chance or if you have tasted onion soup but that was not good then you should definitely try something different. Point is never stop exploring new things. 🙂 I mean if a restaurant ever served you onion soup what made you disappointed, then you can make delicious onion soup at home and enjoy with others.
There are many reasons behind disliking onion soup, particularly people in Indian sub continent as they usually consume enough onion due to their food habits. Some people simply do not like smell of onion. But whatever reason you may have, if you are good in cooking then you can make such onion soup so tasty and healthy too. Enough negative things about onion soup we have discussed here , but many people like this soup so much. It is really tasty and if you love to cook then you can do experiment according to your taste also.
Here cabbage (patta gobi) is added in this soup. So if you think this soup has no other vegetables so it is not as healthy as other soups, then you are making mistake. Other point behind adding cabbage is that when you boil cabbage and onion then you find difficulties to identify cabbage and onion. Here both cabbage and onion will become soft and similar in taste. Soya sauce is used to bring little dark color in this soup, otherwise it will look so whitish or colorless. So do not add soya sauce too much, just add to get desired color in soup. Onion, ginger, garlic, black pepper and green chilies will add taste in this soup. Butter can be optional but I prefer it here as I think it increases its taste and gives a shiny look. Best part is here, you are adding onion paste (two onions) as well as onion layers (cut each onion into four pieces and separate layers to add in soup. You will fry onion paste but you are not frying onion layers. You just need to boil onion layers in soup and make soft.
Delicious onion soup recipe
- Onion - 6 large size (make 2 paste & 4 chopped)
- Cabbage / patta gobi - ⅔ cup (chopped)
- Ginger / adrak paste - 2 tsp
- Garlic / lahsun - 4-6 cloves (chopped)
- Green chilies / hara mirch - 2
- Black pepper / kalimirch powder - 2 tsp
- Soya sauce - 1 tsp
- Oil - ½ tbsp
- Water - 4 cups
- Salt - as needed
- Butter - 4 tsp
- Heat oil in a cooking pan and add ginger paste, chopped garlic, onion paste and stir continuously for 2 mins
- Now add chopped green chilies, black pepper powder, soya sauce, salt and chopped cabbage and fry for 4-5 mins
- Now add water and let it start boiling and boil for 5 mins, stir sometimes in between the boiling period
- Add chopped onion (do not make finely chopped rather make 4 pieces of each onion) and boil another 5 mins
- Now switch off burner and take onion soup in 4 serving bowls, spread some black pepper powder on the top and add 1 tsp butter in each bowl
- Serve hot and enjoy with others
Try some more soup – mushroom soup with scrambled paneer, cabbage soup, thick mixed vegetable soup, tomato soup, mix vegetable soup etc