Food menu for any party or occasion is very important as it always brings a smile on your guest’s face. So whatever will be the occasion, if you want to make happy your guests and have a successful party, you have to select food very carefully. So what if it will a wedding reception party? You have to more conscious. Right? Then let’s discuss Maharashtrian wedding food ideas. You can pick many vegetarian food for Kelvan menu from this list.
Maharashtrian Wedding Food Ideas
Though Marathi marriage reception does not only include vegetarian food but also they prefer non-vegetarian food. But here I am only mentioned vegetarian food. In case you are looking for non-vegetarian food menu then you can check Konkani style non-vegetarian menu because Konkani food style has a strong influence on Maharashtrian non-vegetarian food.
Starters | Appetizers
- Batata vada pav: This is one of the most favorite food in Maharashtra. Vada is made of potato and some spices and deep fried in oil. This is served with pav (or bread).
- Bhaji: Marathi people prefer bhaji very much. Potato, onion, green chilli deep fries coated with besan (chickpeas flour) will work great.
- Dabeli: Dabeli is popular in Gujarat and Maharashtra, particularly in Mumbai. This is another delicious street food, made of bread, mashed potatoes, a lot of spices, sev (farsan), raw chopped onion, green pudina (mint) chutney and sweet dates & jaggery chutney.
- Soup: Soups work well in any family party. A lot of options are available but tomato soup, mix vegetable soup, mushroom soup etc are preferred.
- Puri Sabzi: Puri is popular in many locations of this country. This flour made flat fried food served with delicious potato sabzi is always yummy.
- Spicy vegetable: Ladies finger (bhindi), potatoes (aloo), cauliflower (fool gobi), baby corn, mushroom, spinach (palak) etc are favorite vegetables. People may prefer veg Hyderabadi, veg kofta, kadhi pakoda, navratan korma etc.
- Daal: A daal should be a must item in Maharashtrian wedding food menu. Dal fry or dal tadka is delicious dal dishes. Many people also like moong daal with spices, Gujarati kadhi, dal bati or even south Indian sambar.
- Paneer item (one or two): Paneer or cottage cheese dish is a most essential dish for the vegetarian food menu. There are so many paneer dishes (kadhai paneer, paneer masala, sweet paneer curry, paneer butter masala, paneer bhurjee, shahi paneer etc) you just need to pick minimum one or two items.
- Rice: Rice is must in Maharashtrian wedding food menu. Many options are also available in rice, these are jeera rice, masala rice, onion fried rice, pulao, biriyani, peas rice etc.
- Roti / Indian bread: Roti is must for any marriage reception food menu. Multiple options are also available in roti, these are naan, Malabar paratha, butter naan, kachori etc.
- Kokum Sharbat: Kokum sharbat is not available and popular in other parts of India. Kokum is mainly grown in the western coastal side of India. In Malvan it is very popular and people like it so much. This sharbat is made of sugar and kokum.
- Flavored soda water: This another good option and widely accepted by people.
- Jalebi: Crispy and juicy sweet item. Very popular in every corner of India.
- Malpua: Malpua is also another decent option for reception food. Not so common dessert item but people like this very much.
- Shrikhand: Yogurt is nothing but sweet flavored yogurt. Nowadays people have started liking this dessert. It is made of yogurt, saffron, cardamon and others.
- Sheera: Sheera is famous in Mumbai. Almost every sweet dishes store sell sheera. This is actually semolina made sweet dish.
- Gulab jamun: You may say this ‘king of sweets’. Almost everybody loves this sweet. Many people do a lot of experiment with gulab jamun while eating gulab jamun. They some time enjoy hot gulab jamun with cold curd. Some time people have this at normal temperature.
- Puran Poli: This is particularly famous in Maharashtra. So you may include this in a traditional Marathi food menu.
Maharashtrian Wedding Rituals
Maharashtrian wedding rituals are always special and unique. If you ever attended any Marathi wedding then you must know why it is special. Maharashtrian people always follow their traditional customs and rituals during their wedding ceremony. Each and every ritual is always attended by their close friends and relatives. They have unique pre wedding customs, wedding religious rituals and post marriage customs.
Before the wedding
Sakhar puda custom (Groom’s family gives saree and sweets to bride) ⇒ Kelvan ceremony (Puja of Kuldevta by both families) ⇒ Haldi ritual (Apply turmeric paste on both bride and groom at their homes)
Mangal ashtaka recitation (A silk shawl is used to keep separated both bride and groom after completion of recitation shawl is removed) ⇒ Garland exchange (Both exchange garlands) ⇒ Sankalp ceremony (Seeks permission to get married from each other family members) ⇒ Kanyadaan (Bride is given to groom by her family members) ⇒ Mangal sutra (Groom ties Mangalsutra around bride’s neck) ⇒ Sapta padhi (Both take seven rounds around holy fire) ⇒ Karma sampati custom (Bride’s father thanks God)
After the wedding
Bidayee (Bride leave her father;s home) ⇒ Griha Pravesh (Bride enters into groom’s house)
Each family may have some special traditions & customs during those stages what they always try to maintain. Particularly both bride & groom’s family may have some special pre & post marriage customs.
— FavCounter (@Fav_Counter) December 17, 2016
What will be your favorite traditional Maharashtrian wedding food menu?
Have you ever visited any Marathi wedding reception? If yes then share that food menu here.