Oat is a good option for a quick and healthy meal. You can have oat prepared with vegetables and spices. There are hundreds of options in oats what you can have as a breakfast food or even a proper healthy meal. Not only that, you can even make delicious and healthy oatmeal soup with oats, more particularly potato oatmeal soup with tomatoes and spices. Did you ever try this?
Some people prefer oats only with milk but I prefer both with milk as well as such meal cooked with vegetables. Although here not so many vegetables are added rather you can find plenty of potatoes in this potato oatmeal soup along with tomatoes and spices. You definitely came to know that because it name tells everything. This potato oatmeal soup has its own taste because of various spices. But that not means this oatmeal soup is hard to cook rather I would say it is very simple and delicious soup what anybody will like.
When I am writing this post, it is actually raining outside so I wanted to make dal khichdi but I finally come up with a red lentil soup what I have just found better than this potato oatmeal soup (personal preference) I would definitely share that food too with my readers. But for this time, let’s talk about this oatmeal soup. A few days back I have already shared another soup prepared with Oat and cheese. But that was not my favorite, that not means I did not like that soup but if I compare both soups then I would prefer this potato oatmeal soup over oat soup with cheese.
Though I do not cook daily, but I make mostly vegetarian soups or other snacks & starters because I started doing so when I was staying in Delhi away from my home for years. Most of the time when I cooked anything I made those in large quantity, so after having those often I used to skip my meals. Okay, that was my story what is yours?
Okay, now coming to potato oatmeal soup with tomatoes and spices. This oatmeal soup does not even need so many ingredients. You just need to have oats, tomatoes, green peas, onion and spices (turmeric, mustard, fenugreek, nigella, cumin, and saunf) in your kitchen inventory. This soup is cooked with butter but you definitely can use oil to make this potato oatmeal with tomatoes and spices.
Potato Oatmeal soup recipe
- Oats - ⅔ cup
- Potato/aloo - 1 large size, cut into small cube
- Tomato / tamatar - 1 medium, chopped
- Green peas / hara matar - ¼ cup
- Onion / pyaz - 1 large size, chopped
- Turmeric / haldi - pinch of, powder
- Fenugreek / methi - ½ tsp, whole seeds
- mustard / sarso - ½ tsp, whole seeds
- Nigella / kalonji - ½ tsp, whole seeds
- Cumin / jeera - ½ tsp, whole seeds
- Saunf - ½ tsp, whole seeds
- Butter - ½ tbsp, melted (alternative, sunflower oil)
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt - as needed
- Heat butter in a cooking pot / wok and add all spices (fenugreek, mustard, nigella, cumin, saunf) and let spices start cracking
- Then add finely chopped onion and tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes, add pinches of salt according to taste
- Now add turmeric powder, small potato cubes and green peas and cook for another 4 minutes
- Pour adequate water and let each ingredient cooked properly, boil till potato cubes cooked perfectly then adjust thickness of soup by allowing further boiling
So did you try this oatmeal soup at home? How was that? Share your thoughts regarding this soup, you can even share your tips to improve the taste of this soup. Thanks in advance.
********** NATURE & FUN **********
It’s rainy season and in Kolkata, India we face heavy rain during the month of July and August. But rainfall starts little early from last days of June, so seasonal flowers start blooming accordingly. There are certain flowers bloom during these days and balsam & tuberose are most popular among those flowers. Here, tuberose has started blooming this year in our garden.