Egg momo, another version of delicious & healthy momos. Such soft & white colored egg momos are a very favorite food of many Indian, Tibetan, Bhutanese & Nepalese people. Though egg momos are not so common one among the various other types of momos but still it is very popular among the certain section of people.
In India, chicken momo, paneer momo and vegetarian momo are very popular and very easily available from a street food vendor, but when it comes to egg momo then it is exclusively available at the certain location and people love to have those and enjoy as their evening snack or even as dinner too.
There are many people who do not prefer meat but they like the egg, such people like egg momos very much. Many people who are vegetarian because of family food habit but still they have started consuming eggs due to heavy physical exercise or any other reason they can try this delicious momo. Now you may start thinking then what about pure non-vegetarian people, is it not for them? Yes, they also like these egg momos. I am also non-vegetarian and equally like chicken momo as well as egg momo. But when I was in Delhi, there I found only very few number of street food vendors who actually sell egg momos along with other types of momo. There was a street food vendor near Pitampura metro station, who used to make awesome egg momos. But here in Kolkata, there are some good egg momo sellers near my home and I found myself lucky for that reason.
I do not have any idea about the origin of this food but some people claim it as Tibetan food but many Nepali people told me that it is their own traditional food. But I do not want to me think too far about its origin as long as I found delicious momos are very widely available across this region. It is also popular in Bhutan, Darjeeling district and a few parts in North East India.
But in case, such delicious egg momos are not available near your area or food are not so delicious at your area then you can try this at your own place. Definitely, you can make egg momos very effortlessly and of course, it is very cost effective as compared those available in your area, haha. That means once you learn to make this at home then you can have this at your place whenever you will want and the price will not be a primary factor for that purpose. Is it not true? What do you say?
Egg momos recipe
- All purpose flour / refined wheat flour (maida) - 1.5 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Cabbage/pattagobi - 1.5 cup
- Green onion - ½ cup
- Onion/pyaz - 1 medium
- Tomato/tamatar - 1
- Green chillies - 4-5 pieces
- Red chili powder - ½ tsp
- Roasted cumin powder - 1.5 tsp
- Soy sauce - 2-3 tsp
- Vinegar - 2.5 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 1.5 tbsp
- Water -as needed
- Dough making - Mix all purpose flour, salt and oil, add little water to make soft dough, keep this dough aside for further use
- Egg preparation- Heat oil in a cooking pan, add finely chopped onion, tomato, green chilies and cook it becomes soft, then add eggs & salt too, and fry till next 3-5 minutes, scramble eggs properly and keep this in a separate bowl
- Vegetables preparation - Add oil in a pan, then add finely chopped cabbage, green onion and cook for next 5 minutes, spread pinches of roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt, now mix all ingredients properly, then pour soy sauce & vinegar and stir to mix
- Combine both cooked eggs & vegetables - Now add cooked eggs to prepared vegetables and mix and then keep it a separate bowl
- Momo preparation & stuffing - Make 10-12 small ball with that dough, roll each ball to give approx 2 inch size circular shape, fill stuffing material (eggs & vegetables combination), bring edges closer and press with finger/fork to keep stuffing material inside
- Momo steaming - Spread few drops of oil over surface of momo steamer, so that you can loft cooked momos very easily from that surface, now place each momos and steam to cook for next 15-20 minutes
You can add some othe vegetable of your choice (like carrot, green beans etc) but in such case you should reduce quantity of added cabbage, other wise you can get actual taste of egg momos
Serve egg momos with spicy & hot chilli garlic chutney
You can add some coriander leaves to this recipe if you like, it works great but personally, I do not prefer coriander leaves here
Serve egg momos hot with special hot chilli garlic (momos chatni)