Dosa is a popular breakfast food in India. Though it is south Indian dish but nowadays it is available in every region of this country. Many people also often make this awesome breakfast food at home too. But those who can not make it at home they still often try this at restaurants. There are some variations in dosa which are available at many restaurants. But those are mostly vegetarian one. So for non-vegetarian people, this egg dosa makes their morning better and happier.
But did you ever hear about this egg dosa
Did you try this (egg-dosa) awesome breakfast food?
Do you know the egg dosa recipe?
Are you interested to try this?
Egg dosa? Who will try this?
Actually, most people did not ever hear about this breakfast food. But some stalls use to sell this super delicious breakfast food and most people visit those shops to have this egg dosa. Not only for breakfast, actually people prefer this for lunch too. This is very simple, healthy and yummy too. People who can not think beyond non-vegetarian item for their breakfast & lunch love this egg dosa. Anybody can make this dish at home very effortlessly if he/she enjoy cooking a lot.
Me, egg dosa & special chutney for dosa
First time I tried this at Powai, Mumbai, Maharashtra but they added some finely chopped vegetables (like tomato, capsicum, cucumber, onion etc) along with some spices and cooked those with egg before serving. It was actually named as Mutta dosa (in case, I am not wrong). Surprisingly that shop owner served that with a super chatni (or sauce). I asked him about the sauce and he told me that it was prepared with green mango, green coriander leaves, green chillies etc.
Without that sauce, I won’t enjoy that dish so much. It was really mouthwatering, extra hot & sour sauce with a nice aroma of green coriander leaves. You simply can’t hate that sauce. Anyway, that was 2011 when I first time tried dosa with egg, I mean a non-vegetarian dosa. Being a non-vegetarian I loved that food.
After that, I tried dosa with eggs several times and enjoy it with various sauce. I tried it with tomato sauce, schezwan sauce and sometimes even with Bengali traditional mustard sauce (kasundi). I liked it with kasundi very much. The taste of such dosa with egg is different from traditional plain dosa or masala dosa or rava dosa.
Unlike mutta dosa, here finely chopped vegetable are not cooked, it is a great option for yummy & healthy breakfast or even for evening tiffin. I loved this egg dosa to have with kasundi (Bengali traditional mustard sauce). You can even have this without adding any chopped vegetables because the combination of egg & dosa itself mouthwatering and you can still have this without anything like potato masala, sambar or vegetables.
Egg dosa recipe
- ½ cup urad dal / split black lentils
- 1 cup par boiled rice / ukda chawal
- Salt – according to taste
- 2 tsp dahi / Curd
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water as needed
- 50 gm butter
- 3 tsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 4-5 eggs
- 1.5 cup chopped vegetables (tomato, cucumber, onion)
- Soak split black lentils (urad dal) and par boiled water (ukda chawal) in water for 3 to 4 hours
- Now grind urad dal and chawal, add water to grind
- Now take all smooth mixture in a big bowl and add 2 tsp curd
- Then keep this smooth batter in a warm place for the whole night.
- Now you can see bubble within it. That means it is fermented.
- Then add salt according to taste, add little more water if you think it is very thick and stir
- Now heat frying pan and also add oil with a brush
- Add batter to frying pan with a serving spoon and spread it over the pan immediately
- Now add butter and spread over dosa, spread tomato sauce and cumin & coriander powder
- Then add an egg over dosa, spread it over dosa, also spread some pinches of salt
- Serve this egg dosa with chopped vegetable inside dosa