Tomato soup is very common soup, particularly in India. There are very fewer people in this world who do not like tomatoes. That is why it is popular and it is very easy to cook & delicious. You may have tried different types of tomato soup but very few you can remember right now. It is simply because not each soup was tasty. How many you can remember right now? Is creamy tomato soup in that list?
My first experience of trying the tomato soup
I personally like this creamy tomato soup as compare to normal tomato soup. I still remember that I have tasted tomato soup first time in train and after that whenever I travelled I saw they only offered tomato soup, not anything else. Though I do not know the exact reason behind it but I guess it is because of being most preferred soup in India. As in India, we use tomato in most of the recipes, so very fewer people will have an objection if tomato soup will be served in train. What is your opinion?
It was Rajdhani Express (if I am not wrong) from Howrah to Delhi in 2007 and a man from Railway pantry service gave us a cup of hot reddish yellow colored tomato soup along with a small pack of Amul butter and a soup stick. When I noticed the soup stick that time I thought it was kind of biscuit so I kept that soup stick and waiting for tea. I did not even notice what others were doing with that, haha. I was so confident because I had no idea about the soup stick. It was a funny incident and that’s why I can still remember that incident very clearly. Anyway when I came to know that it was for having with soup then I had no option except enjoying that soup with butter.
Creamy tomato soup & its taste
Now coming to this creamy tomato soup, it creamy and thick. As the fresh cream is used here, it looks less reddish. Potatoes are used to make it thick and heavy & tasty. So if you have a bowl of soup with soup stick then you do not need to have anything else in that evening. Ginger, garlic, onion & red chillies are added in this soup. You are free to add extra water if you want to control the thickness of the soup. But I personally prefer thick creamy tomato soup.
Creamy tomato soup recipe
- Tomatoes / tamatar - 3 medium size
- Potatoes / aloo - ½ small size
- Ginger /adrak - ½ inch
- Garlic / lahsun - 5 cloves
- Onion / pyaz - 1 medium size
- Green chillies / hara mirch - 2-3
- Fresh cream - 4 tsp
- Butter - 2 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Water - as needed
- Heat oil in a cooking pot and add ginger & garlic paste and cook
- Now add green chillies, onion and fry for 3-4 mins
- Add tomato puree and small cubes of potato, cook for another 7-8 mins. Pour water if needed within that period
- Now mash potatoes by using a hand masher and add water as needed
- add fresh cream and stir and boil another 2-3 mins till it reaches desired thickness
- Now add butter and mix with soup and switch off the flame
- Take delicious creamy tomato soup in a serving bowl & serve
You can use corn flour instead of potatoes
Are you crazy about soup? I mean, you like to taste different types of soups or often try your favorite soup only? If you want to try different soup at home then you check these recipes too – mushroom soup with scrambled paneer, cabbage soup, thick mixed vegetable soup, tomato soup.