Most of us like chilli paneer very much, probably you also like this one of the most popular paneer dishes. As preparation of this item is quite similar to chilli chicken, so it is also one of the most preferred paneer dishes for non-vegetarian people. Adequate quantity of green capsicum (green bell pepper) is added to this chilli paneer. This is a very popular and delicious North Indian dish.
Most road side dhaba (small local restaurants) and even all famous North Indian city restaurants offer this dish to their guests. It spicy and dry and gravy both versions are available for this dish. But I love dry chilli paneer and it is really good with butter naan, roti or even with rice. It looks spicy and has a dark red color because of a lot of tomato sauce/puree and adequate soy sauce.
I think there will be only a few paneer lovers who never tried chilli paneer. Some people like it with little gravy whereas some people prefer dry chilli paneer. Even I personally tried a lot of different versions of this item. Few years back I tried this somewhere in Narela, North Delhi, where a nice garlic flavor was added, there a lot of garlice pieces were added but they excellently cover strong garlic flavor with some other other spices. Taste was superb, they might have a secret recipe.
Chilli paneer recipe
- Corn flour - ½ tbsp
- Refined wheat flour/maida - ¼ tbsp
- Black pepper/kali mirch - 1 tsp, powder
- Soy sauce - 1.5 tsp
- Cumin/jeera - ½ tsp, powder
- Salt - as needed
- Paneer - 250 gm
- Green Capsicum/bell pepper - 1 large size
- Onion / pyaz - 2 medium size
- Tomato puree/sauce/paste - ½ cup
- Soy sauce - 2-3 tsp
- Vinegar - 2 tsp
- Curd/dahi - ½ tbsp
- Ginger/adrak - 2 tsp, paste
- Garlic/lahsun - 4-5 cloves, chopped
- Green chillies/ hara mirch - 4
- Roasted cumin/bhuna jeera - 1 tsp, powder
- Roasted coriander/bhuna dhania - 1 tsp, powder
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 1.5 tbsp
- Mix all batter making ingredients and add little water to make thick batter
- Now cut paneer into pieces (as per your choice) and dip in batter and fry in oil (you can do deep fry but I don't prefer it here)
- Then heat oil in a cooking pan and saute garlic paste, chopped garlic and green chillies for 3 minutes
- Now cut capsicum and onion into pieces and add it to cooking pan and fry for another 3-4 minutes
- Now take a bowl add tomato puree, soy sauce, curd, roasted cumin, roasted coriander, salt and vinegar then mix all ingredients
- Now add that mixture to cooking pan and cook with all other vegetables/ingredients
- Just before it becomes almost dried up add fried paneer pieces and mix with all spices/ingredients
- Cook for 2-3 minutes with paneer pieces and then switch off flame
This chilli paneer is so delicious and very easy to prepare. You can have this with naan, paratha, rice etc.