Whole moong dal appe (aape or paddu or aappe) is a great option for healthy & tasty breakfast. A proper breakfast always helps us to feel energetic throughout the day. But we always avoid such breakfast due to our lifestyle. We are always in hurry in the morning, so often you do not have enough time to prepare anything in the morning or sometimes even we skip our breakfast because we have to reach our workplace on time. So this appe recipe (paddu recipe or aape recipe) may be a solution because it is easy to make & less clumsy to eat.
This is a south Indian food, particularly preferred as an awesome breakfast food. Appe has many names, I mean different people call it by different names. Some people say it is paddu whereas some people know it as appam. Not only that is also known as Gulli – appe by many people. I always thought that only wanted criminals use to have so many names to hide their original identity. You may watch TV anchor use to say “Dhyan se dekhiye ish shaksh ko, ish masoom se shakal ke peeche ek shaitan choopa hain“, (observe carefully this person who is hiding devil-spirit with an innocent face) haha. The way anchor delivers those words is very scary and hilarious too. But why should criminals have several names why not food too? Haha, That is why Appe is also known as (aka) paddu, appam, gulli-appa etc. Okay, now I think I am talking nonsense and you are not enjoying this because you are looking for some serious stuff. Is it?
Also read: 5 popular Bengali breakfast dishes
Scroll down to check appe recipe or aape recipe or paddu recipe
My introduction to moong dal appe
Appe was absolutely new food to me until a few years back. But when the first time I tried this thing I thought it was actually idli where food vendor added some vegetable to make it special and attract more customers & food lovers. But later I came to knew it was actually something different and very popular breakfast food in south India, particularly in Kerala, Karnataka etc. You can even find some stalls in Mumbai who sell this awesome & healthy food.
I asked that street food vendor about appe recipe but they just said that he used rice & lentils (dal) batter along with some vegetables to make this dish. What all vegetable he used that was easily identifiable. So I did not need to ask anything more about it.
Homemade moong dal appe
Then I tried it at home several times with many different combinations of lentils with different ratios of rice & lentils. I used moong dal, masoor dal, urad dal, whole moong dal etc. Though traditionally urad dal is used to make this appe (paddu or aape or aappe) but many people also love to make this with whole moong dal and I belong to that category. Taste of paddu made with whole moong dal & rice is really super delicious.
I used to eat this appe (paddu or aape or aappe) with red chatni & green chatni. I mean if you try this at street food stall then they will mostly serve this with traditional coriander & pudina made green chatni, sometimes they may serve this with both green & sweet red chatni but when I try this at home then I love to have those with tomato sauce too. So if you want to try appe recipe (paddu recipe or Aappe recipe or aape recipe) at home then you can do this because it is very easy and simple. You can see hundreds of such recipes on the internet. Here I have shared my recipe too what I used to make this appe (paddu or aape or aappe) at home.
Moong dal appe recipe (paddu recipe or aape recipe or aappe recipe)
- ½ cup whole moong dal (lentils)
- 1 cup rice (chawal)
- 1 tbsp curd
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch carrot, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- Water as needed
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Pinches of asafoetida (hing)
- Soak rice & lentils in water for overnight (or 4-5 hours) in a large bowl
- Now drain water and grind those and make a smooth puree, add curd & mix with batter, now rest it for another 5 hours
- Now cut onion, carrot, chillies and add little water (1/2 cup or more) to maintain perfect thickness, so that it is not too thick not too thin
- Now heat oil and add all spices (cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida & curry leaves) and pour it to batter and mix it properly
- Now keep appe maker over fire and grease it with oil and pour batter in each place for making yummy appe
Instant rava appe recipe (paddu recipe or aape recipe)
- Semolina/suji/rava - 150 gm
- Curd/dahi - ½ tbsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - ½ tsp
- Finely chopped vegetables (capsicum, tomato, onion) - ½ cup
- Finely chopped coriander leaves - ½ cup
- Finely chopped chillies - 2
- Salt - pinches of
- Water - ½ cup or more if needed
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5 to 6
- Oil - ½ tbsp
- Take semolina & curd in large bowl and pour ½ cup water and mix, then rest it for 10 minutes
- Now add salt, baking soda & lemon juice and mix with semolina batter
- Cut all vegetables and take in all finely chopped vegetables in the bowl
- Now heat oil in a small bowl, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry till it starts cracking
- Mix all spices with batter
- Now heat appe maker over fire, grease it with oil, then pour appe batter
- Fry both sides of appe and take it a serving plate and serve with tomato sauce or red & green chatni
Whole moong dal appe recipe and instant rava appe recipe both are very easy but whole moong dal appe (paddu or aape or aappe) needs time to ferment batter. That means you can not make traditional lentil & rice appe without prior preparation. I actually hate this for this reason. I mean if I want to eat appe without any preparation for 7-8 hours then I can not do this. This is very irritating but thank God there is a solution to make appe instantly. So which one did you like most whole moong dal appe recipe or instant rava appe recipe? Share it with us by writing comment below.