You must have tasted usal pav. Did you not? Then you must try this. It’s simply awesome in taste and healthy too. A day start with usal pav in breakfast is simply yummmm yummmm… 🙂 It will give you energy to do daily work and a happy morning. But what is usal pav?
Usal pav is very popular in Maharashtra. Though many styles and types of usal is available across Maharathra but I like what I often ate in Mumbai & Malvan. It’s main ingredient is a lot of lentils. Mixed types of lentils are most preferred though moong dal, green peas or even dried peas made usal are also very popular.
As it is known to all (also me) that lentils are source of protein for vegetarian, so it is very healthy and will give you energy to live a bright & energetic day. That is why many people prefer usal pav as breakfast.
It is also a popular street food in Mumbai and other places in Maharashtra. Though it is not popular in other states equally, but it is accepted by many other people who are living in cities. In Madhya Pradesh, people also like this food and usal pav is available Indore, Bhopal, Dewas and other major cities in MP.
You can add moong, masoor, toor, arhar, chhole, rajma etc in usal. Tomato, onion based spicy gravy is really mouth watering.
I personally always try to make recipe simpler, so try same dish in many ways and try to improve the process, so that next time when I will cook that dish, it will take less time, keeping the same authentic taste.
Usal pav recipe
- Mixed lentils (moong, masoor, toor, arhar, chhole, rajma etc) - ⅔ cup
- Tomato - 1 medium size (puree)
- Onion - 2 medium size (paste)
- Ginger paste - 2 tsp
- Garlic paste - 1.5 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Water - as needed
- Pav / bread - 4 pieces
- Butter - 4 tsp
- Soak lentils in water for 8-10 hours (overnight)
- Cut onion, ginger & garlic into small pieces and keep those in mixer grinder, blend all those to make paste
- Boil tomatoes and peel skin and make puree by using mixer
- Now heat oil in a kadai, add onion, ginger garlic paste and fry together for 3-4 minutes
- Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and mix with onion, ginger garlic paste, cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Add tomato puree, stir well and cook for another 3-4 minutes, add water if needed
- Now add mixed lentils and mix with gravy, cook it for 2-3 minutes and add water
- Let the gravy start boiling, when it will reach at desired thickness of gravy then remove kadai from burner
- Now place a pan over burner and add some butter, spread it all over the pan
- Now keep bread pieces on it and make it little bit crispy or keep it over there till color of bread start changing
People add thick farsan or sev in gravy to make misal and have this with pav. Misal pav is a popular street food in Maharashtra.
If you are looking for some more healthy and tasty food for breakfast then you can try sabudana khichdi, Malvani poha, dahi vada, rava / sooji upma, south Indian plain dosa, idli, sattu paratha and many more.
Do you prefer any specific food as breakfast? Then let us know about that. Reply below about your favorite food for breakfast and why do you like that so much. Share your story as we believe sharing is caring.