You must have tried many types of vegetable pakoda, but have you ever eaten radish pakoda (or mooli pakoda)? Nope? You may think that generally no food stall sells any mooli pakoda, NO! NEVER! Then it must be not worth to make at home. IS IT? It depends upon your taste but if you like radish then definitely you like it more than any other such fries.
It is kind of a DIY project. Ha Ha! Shocked? Actually here cutting of radish is little bit tricky. You need to cut each small piece of radish multiple times till the halfway to opposite side and do this for both sides. Now it will become like a spring. You just pull that piece of radish from both sides with your hand, you can see that it will be expanding like spring, like it gains elasticity.
Now prepare batter for coating that piece of radish. Mix rice flour, fine wheat flour, turmeric powder, red chili powder, tamarind pulp, black pepper and salt properly and add water as needed to make it smooth batter. DO NOT add too much water or very less water, add water to make batter perfect so that it become little bit sticky with radish. If your batter is so watery then you can not make a delicious mooli pakoda.
After frying each mooli pakoda, you can serve it with a lot of salad, you can add some cheese over it too but it is optional. Here I have not used cheese.
Mooli pakoda recipe
Preparation time : 5 mins Cooking time : 15 mins
- Radish / mooli - 1 large
- Rice flour - ½ cup
- Fine wheat flour / maida - ¼ cup
- Turmeric / haldi powder - 1.5 tsp
- Red chili / lal mirch powder - 1 tsp
- Tamarind pulp / imli - 1.5 tsp
- Black pepper / kali mirch powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - enough to fry
- Water - enough to boil
- Cut horizontally a large size radish into small pieces
- Now take a small piece of radish and cut 10-12 times till halfway of that piece on both sides
- Now do this for each pieces of radish and boil for 5-7 minutes
- Now mix all ingredients for batter (rice flour, fine wheat flour, turmeric powder, red chili powder, tamarind powder, black pepper, salt) and add water to make batter
- Now take each pieces of boiled radish pieces and coat in batter
- Heat in oil in a cooking pot and take batter coated radish and pull both side with your hands to expand and place in oil to fry (keep flame high while placing expanded radish in oil)
- Now fry both sides till turns to brown color
- Serve hot
Is it not yummy? So are you interested to try this? If you will then do not forget to share your experience. You can even make some more starters or snacks like vada pao, gobi 65, karela pakora, ghugni etc.