Life is not so beautiful if you have empty stomach. It is truly said by the famous poet that full moon is like baked bread for a hungry man. If you are hungry then everything is so dull and ugly. There is no place for romanticism with a empty stomach. So let’s no more talk on hunger rather cook something. MATAR MUSHROOM will be fine for today. What do you say?
I never purchase mushroom from roadside stall because I do not know from where they purchased those. You will have no idea about source of those mushroom. I do not have any clear idea about mushroom farming & sourcing but I believe that I should buy it from reliable and trustworthy big shops or departmental stores. What do you think? From where do you buy mushroom very often?
Okay let’s cook matar mushroom (green peas mushroom curry) now. Main ingredients for matar mushroom are green peas and mushroom. 🙂 I know that I already assumed that. But tricky part is making the curry here. Base of this curry is prepared with ginger, garlic, onion and tomato. All these are very basic ingredients to make any Indian curry, nothing special. But this matar mushroom curry will become special due to process and adding other spices. Red chili powder, turmeric powder, kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) are used here as spices.
You need 2 medium size onion. Use one to make paste and chopped another to make fine pieces. So fry ginger, garlic and onion paste together or add ginger paste, garlic paste and onion paste one by one. Fry these till it changes color to light brown. Now add chopped onion and cook with salt for another few minutes.
Now be ready with finely chopped red perfectly ripe tomatoes and add it to frying pan. You have to add red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala at this stage and cook till it releases oil.
Now add green peas and chopped mushroom and cook for another few minutes and add few drops lemon juice. Wait, it is still not ready. I need little gravy and want mushroom and green peas to absorb flavor of spices and other ingredients properly. So add enough water according to quantity of gravy you need. Now start boiling and after few minutes you need to add kasuri methi & some fresh cream which will bring extra shine in your curry and make it more delicious. Now again boil to adjust thickness or quantity of curry. YES we have done matar mushroom dish and it’s so delicious.
Matar mushroom recipe
- Mushroom - 100 gm
- Green peas/ matar - ½ cup
- Onion / pyaz - 2 medium size (1 paste + 1 chopped)
- Tomato / tamatar - 1 large size (chopped)
- Ginger / adrak paste - 2 tsp
- Garlic paste - 1.5 tsp
- Garam masala - 1.5 tsp
- Red chili / lal mirch powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric / haldi powder - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1.5 tsp
- Kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves - 2 tsp (crushed)
- Fresh cream - 1.5 tbsp
- Oil - 2.5 tbsp
- Water - enough to make curry
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai, add ginger, garlic and onion paste one by one, fry for 3 minutes
- Now add finely chopped onion & salt and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Add chopped tomato, red chili powder, turmeric powder and fry till it releases oil, add garam masala too
- Now add chopped mushroom pieces and green peas and fry with thick gravy for 5 minutes
- Add one and half tea spoon of lemon juice and mix
- Pour water and stir, boil gravy for another 5-6 minutes, add crushed kasuri methi & fresh cream and mix properly
- Now boil for few more minutes to adjust gravy, pour green peas mushroom in serving bowl, spread some fresh cream over it
Try some more dishes – gatte chili curry, mixed beans curry, gobi 65 etc.