Who does not like dessert at the end of meal? Is there anyone? people actually spend a lot of money in dessert after having a meal in a restaurant. Most restaurant-guys ask their customers for dessert after lunch or dinner. Most of the time people actually agree with the proposal and the restaurant-guys cracks a good deal with little push strategy. Actually all of us want to have something in dessert after meal because it help to complete the meal. Some people prefer hot brownie wheres many of them want to have milk made sweets. Rava sheera is also one of popular dessert in Indian subcontinent. It comes with different flavors too, particularly during summer people prefer mango flavored rava sheera. Rava sheera is also known as sooji ka halwa in Hindi speaking region. This mango flavored rava sheera is very popular, particularly in Maharashtra and some other Indian states.
Why people love this dessert?
Mango is very famous for it’s mouth watering flavor. This red and yellowish colored summer fruit is truly magical and it’s smell in air bring the news of celebration of summer. During terrific hot weather when tired body starts finding a way to beat high temperature, mind is still happy because it can smell the red ripe mango and it’s aroma bring magical atmosphere. It is also called as king of summer fruit. People love to add this flavor in their drink and desserts. Mango made lassi and other drinks are truly mouth watering and super delicious. Mango flavored ice cream also very preferable.
By this point if you are thinking that I have gone crazy or SPEAKING too much about ripe mango then you might be not wrong too.
Mango lovers even wait for summer when they can get chance to eat plenty of fresh red or yellow colored mangoes. People start sweating & feeling tired, LESS number of people are on the street, many people even die due to extreme hot across the country but still there is something what can bring smile on your face and perhaps mango is one of those.
Is this mango flavored rava sheera popular ?
This mango flavored rava sheera is not popular across the country. In Bengal it is not so popular, even in Northern states of India this dessert does not get enough respect but in western states of India, it is VERY VERY popular. You can buy such flavored rava sheera from any sweet shop. I have tasted this dessert at various sweet shops in Mumbai. It is very simple and easy to make but still you can find slightly difference in taste in each shop. During summer most sweet shop mango flavored rava sheera to their customers and people love to have this dessert after having something spicy like kachori etc.
Ready to make this dessert?
Making of mango flavored rava sheera is not a rocket science and you need not to be an expert cook. That is why I prefer this dessert so much. Once you have arranged all ingredients then it will take hardly 15-20 minutes to make this delicious mango flavored rava sheera (or mango flavored sooji ka halwa). By this point if you have lost your patience then you can jump to the recipe directly.
Ohhh, you are still with me then I must advise you to consider this recipe has two parts; firstly semolina sauted in ghee (or clarified butter) and secondly mango puree with sugar, cashew nuts and raisins. Now gradually add lightly fried semolina in mango puree and stir continuously till thicken.
You can serve this hot but I prefer it after refrigerating for one or two hours.
Mango flavored rava sheera recipe
- Mango, ripe - 1 big size, peeled & chopped
- Semolina / rava or sooji - ⅔ cup
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Clarified butter / Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts - ¼ cup
- Raisins / kishmish - 15 gm
- Water - 2 cups
- Peel red and yellowish color perfectly ripe mango and chopped, put those in blender and blend to make smooth purre, add water if needed
- Now saute semolina in a wok (but do not let the color of semolina turn brown), add ghee (or clarified butter) stir continuously and mix with semolina (or sooji), do not burn semolina
- Now take fried semolina in a pot and keep aside for further use
- Now take all mango paste in a cooking pot, add water and boil
- Add sugar to that mango puree, stir continuously till it is completely melted
- Add roasted cashew nuts and raisins
- Now add fried semolina gradually to that puree and stir continuously
- Once it become thicken and sooji almost absorbs all residual water then switch off fire
- Take all mango flavored rava sheera in small pots, rest for 30 mins and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving
Suggested desserts for you
Gulab jamun – An inseparable part of Indian festivals
How to make pineapple chutney – pineapple sweet dish recipe