Karela pakoda? It is crispy, tasty and less bitter in taste. Many people do not like bitter gourd due to it’s bitter taste but here you may find different bitter gourd and may start liking bitter gourd too. So you do not need to keep a distance from bitter gourd, 🙂 rather you may start loving this. Hmmm!! Still not convinced? Then can’t help. 😀 If you find anything interesting here then you made my day. Ha ha!
It is definitely true that if you have so many other alternatives to eat then why bitter gourd? Hmmm another relevant question but point is, if you have not tried this type karela pakoda before then you can try this. It is very easy to make and not so bitter as much you are thinking.
Tamarind pulp is used to absorb bitter taste of bitter gourd (karela). Then you need to apply batter over bitter gourd slices. Here rice flour is added to make batter but you can use besan (chick pea flour) or corn flour here. I prefer rice flour because it will make your fries more crispy. Turmeric powder, red chili powder, baking powder and black pepper are added to batter. To get better result you should deep fry karela pakoda.
Karela pakoda is very good evening snack in summer. It works good during rain. You can try this with buttery green peas rice also.
Karela pakoda, delicious crispy battered bitter gourd fries
- Karela / bitter gourd - 5-6 small size
- Imli / tamarind - 2 tsp
- Pakoda batter preparation
- Rice flour - ½ cup
- Haldi / turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1.5 tsp
- Baking powder - pinch of
- Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - as needed to deep fry
- Water - as needed
- First take a small bowl of warm water and add some tamarind and make tamarind pulp
- Discard solid portion of tamarind from pulp and put all bitter gourd slices for 2 hours
- Mix all ingredients for batter and prepare smooth batter for karela pakoda
- Now heat oil in a pan, dip bitter gourd in batter and deep fry in oil