Sometimes we like to eat healthy and clean food like vegetable momos. It’s so tasty, soft and healthy too. Do you too? The answer is definitely yes! But clean food? What is that? 🙂 I mean the healthy food is okay. That everyone will agree but clean food? Is there anybody who likes dirty food? Then why I am saying veg momos are clean food?
Okay don’t get annoyed, what I mean to say is, something easy to cook and needs fewer ingredients. Vegetable momos are such kind of food what you can make within few minutes and you need very fewer ingredients to make this healthy and clean veg momos. You just need some chopped seasonal vegetables, soy sauce and refined wheat flour (that is maida). There are some traditional & some essential vegetables in momo. Cabbage is one of such traditional and preferred vegetable for momo, without cabbage momo will not be so tasty. Though you can always do experiment with various other vegetables excluding cabbage what I also tried that experiment was failed. So I always add cabbage in momos and good thing is that nowadays cabbage is available throughout the year. There are some cabbage heads what were stored in cold storage and gets sold during off season but there is some cabbage what is cultivated during offseason. Here the taste of later one is better than former (what I experienced). After cabbage, you are free to add any other vegetables in this clean food.
There is another ingredient what you must use which is onion. You need onion for veg momo, paneer momo and also for chicken momo. I would say, for chicken momo, onion is the most essential item to add. You need to fry chopped onion first then add all other vegetables including cabbage. Sometimes I prefer to boil chopped cabbage before frying but nowadays I do not do this. Beans, carrot etc are very popular vegetables which are best suited for momos stuffing material.
Without momo’s chutney these momos are not so good but still, you can have momos and enjoy this with tomato sauce or pickle. In such case, I would suggest you add black pepper powder & aamchur (dry mango powder) when you are preparing vegetable for stuffing. I personally prefer to add both in veg momo even if I have that special chili garlic chutney for momos.
I like this food very much because it needs very less oil and I am free to add any seasonal vegetables what I like. I just need to half fry all vegetables and steaming will take care of rest part of cooking. So it helps to keep intact maximum nutrition value of all vegetables.
When I am writing this vegetable momo’s recipe, I am actually listening to music and enjoying soy granules masala with momos chutney & noodles. I will definitely share that recipe too in near future and will let you know a nice story behind that dish.
Vegetable momos recipe (veg momo recipe)
- Refined wheat flour / Maida - 1.5 cups
- Chopped cabbage / patta gobi - 2.5 cups
- Chopped carrot / gajar - ½ cup
- Chopped beans - ½ cup
- Onion - ⅔ cup
- Soy sauce - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1.5 tsp (optional)
- Dry mango powder - 1.5 tsp (optional)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - as needed
- Water - as needed
- Mix maida, salt (to taste), 1 tsp hot oil and mix well, then add water to make a soft dough. Keep that dough aside for further use.
- Now heat oil in a cooking pan and add chopped onion to fry
- Now add all chopped vegetables and fry but do not fry too much as you will steam these, add salt too (to taste)
- Add dry mango powder and black pepper powder and mix well. Though these two spices are optional, you can skip this two if you want to get a traditional taste of momos. But if you do not have momos chutney then I would recommend these to add
- Now add soy sauce and stir well
- Now you have done with making vegetable stuffing for momo
- Now take flour dough what you make earlier, make 10 -12 small balls and roll to give circular shape
- Add vegetables to each circular piece and close each conrners of thar small piece to keep vegetables inside
- When all pieces are ready then use steam cooker (I used rice cooker), add water to generate steam and place all raw momos in it
- Steam those for 12-15 minutes
- Serve hot with momos chutney
Vegetable momo’s (veg momo) are so healthy and awesome tasty, you want to have some even if you have a full stomach.
Thanks for visiting this page for tasty healthy veg momo recipe or my favorite recipe. Though I am not a vegetarian but still, I prefer veg food like veg momo because I find this less clumsy and delicious food. Even I can have this from any local street food vendor because oil is less, so less chance to consume unhealthy oil through veg momo. But this veg momo recipe made my life easy and I can have tasty & healthy veg momo anytime at home.