Do you want to try something special in snack then try this chole masala bread? This not just a delicious snack but also a healthy food because enough chickpeas are added to this item as filling stuff. So if you are looking for healthy and little heavy snack in any special weekend then make this item at home. It needs less oil to cook and easy to bite food. If you are thinking it is similar to Punjabi chole masala then you are wrong. This is absolutely different from Punjabi chole masala.
Chole and chana are confusing to newbies, I hope this is not your case. But still, it is good to mention here that chole is called chickpeas or white chickpeas in English and chana is brown chickpeas in English. Chole (white) is larger than chana (black). Tastes of both are little different too.
Okay, now coming to chole masala bread. It has three layers in between two bread slices. The first layer is – tomato sauce, the second layer is – chole masala & tomato – onion- cucumber slices and the third layer is – mayonnaise. So once you have done with chole preparation then you are actually ready to serve this chole masala bread.
In North India, if you talk about any bread made snack then people will understand about bread pakoda or bread sandwich. Masala bread is also a kind of sandwich but not same food which easily available in the market a bread sandwich. The taste of bread sandwich is also good and very simple food what you can buy from any snack – store. Bread pakoda is another so-so popular snack across Northen states of India. Even most sweet shops sell this bread pakoda and taste of those bread pakoda are almost same. It was also my favorite snack but I have not tasted it in the last couple of years. Bread-pakoda is a deep fried item, so always try to avoid it and came up with this chole masala bread. I like this item whenever I make this.
Chole masala bread recipe
- Bread - 8 slices
- Chole / white chickpeas - ½ cup
- Tomato / tamatar - 1 medium size
- Ginger / adrak - 2 tsp, paste
- Garlic / lahsun - 1.5 tsp, paste
- Red Chili / lal mirch - 1 tsp, powder
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- tomato sauce - as needed
- Mayonnaise - as much as you like
- Cucumber / kheera - 12 pieces, thin slices
- Onion / pyaz - 12 pieces, thin slices
- Tomato / tamatar - 12 pices, thin slices
- Heat oil in a pan and add ginger paste & garlic paste and saute
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes and fry till it releases oil
- Now add red chili powder & salt to it and mix it with other ingredients
- Take chickpeas soaked in water for 5 hours roughly blends in a grinder to make paste
- Now add it to cooking pan and fry with other ingredients
- Spread two teaspoons lemon juice and mix properly
- Chole masala is ready now, so keep it aside for further use
- Take 6 pairs bread slices and each pair will be one unit of chole masala bread
- So spread tomato sauce over 6 bread slices and then spread chole masala over that
- Add cucumber, onion, tomato slices over breads
- Add mayonnaise over each six bread slices and place another one bread slice over each of it
- Now your chole masala bread is ready to be served
Few more words …
This is an excellent easy to make snack item and people can try this for any occasion. If you still want to have something else in your evening snack then try special mango salad with creamy dressing, favorite saucy potato salad, super delicious mooli pakoda, Bengali snack or street food ghugni etc.