Did you ever try chickpea soup? NOPE!! Okay if I ask you about chole masala curry then you can definitely understand what it is actually, RIGHT? Honestly saying, everybody who likes North Indian food definitely has tried chole masala. It is often cooked as dry spicy food and sometimes it comes with little curry too. I prefer both versions too. But when comes with a little curry and magical flavor then you actually can have this as chickpeas soup. AND believe it, it is so delicious and a MUST TRY-SOUP. The best part of this soup is – IT IS NOT like other soups because it is spicy and full of soft chickpeas or Punjabi chole.
Chana masala is always favorite of many North Indian people and people love to enjoy this with roti or naan. I always love to enjoy chole masala or anything prepared with white chickpeas in Punjabi style little spicy. When it is served with mixed pickle, a full plate of salad (full of cucumber, onion, tomato and radish slices), raita and butter naan. Ohhh.. It is the perfect combination. That too at a roadside dhaba. In some dhaba, a special onion soaked in vinegar also served as complementary item along to with mixed pickle.
This chickpeas soup (or chole masala curry) may work with roti or naan but here you can consider it as soup version of chole masala. I think you will enjoy more this version as soup and definitely try this soup at home. But whenever you will make this you need to soak white chickpeas for at least 5-6 hours that too in warm water otherwise you may need to soak it for longer period BECAUSE if chickpeas are not soft enough then you can not enjoy this and your all effort to make this soup will be spoiled.
I tried this soup with garlic flavored cheesy bread toast. It was really awesome, actually cheesy bread always works great with soup, particularly when it is little sour in taste. What do you think? Is it not true? If you not yet tried then try thi next time and share your experience with us.
Chickpeas, Tomato, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Roasted coriander, Roasted cumin, Red chili powder, Turmeric powder, Garam masala powder, Black tea leaves, Tamarind, Salt, Oil and Water are needed to make this super delicious chickpeas soup. So follow below mentioned step to make this soup and enjoy this soup.
Chickpeas soup recipe (Punjabi chole masala)
- Chickpeas / chole - 1 cup
- Tomato / tamatar - 2 large size
- Onion / pyaz - 2 medium size
- Ginger / adrak - 2.5 tsp, paste
- Garlic / lahsun - 1.5 tsp, paste
- Roasted coriander / bhuna dhania - 2 tsp, powder
- Roasted cumin / bhuna jeera - 2 tsp, powder
- Red chili / lal mirch - 2.5 tsp, powder
- Turmeric / haldi - 1.5 tsp, powder
- Garam masala - 1.5 tsp, powder
- Black tea leaves - 1.5 tsp
- Tamaraind / imli - according to taste
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Water - 1.5 cup
- Soak white chickpeas in warm water for atleast 5 to 6 hours, then drain water and take chickpeas for further use
- Blend perfectly ripe tomato and onion one by one, soak tamarind in water, add tea leaves in hot water (strain tea before using) and keep those for further use
- Heat oil in a wok and add ginger and garlic paste, saute both for 1-2 minutes
- Now add onion paste & salt and cook till onion paste changes color to light brown
- Add tomato paste or tomato puree and mix with ginger garlic onion paste and cook till it releases oil
- Now spread all powder-spices (coriander, cumin, red chili, turmeric) and mix with all other ingredients
- Now add soft chickpeas (soaked in water), tea extracts & tamarind water and mix all ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes
- Now pour enough water and boil till it is cooked properly and then adjust curry according to your need
- Spread garam masala over the chickpeas soup and mix properly
Do you often have soups before having your meal then try these soups too – yellow peas soup, roasted tomato soup, best pasta and potato soup, mushroom pasta soup, delicious tomato onion soup, yum yum green mango soup etc.