Aloo paratha is a popular punjabi dish. People prefer alu (potato) paratha for breakfast as well as proper meal (lunch or dinner). If you have ever tasted Punjabi dhaba style aloo paratha then you must know it’s very delicious and spicy. Many people love to have it for breakfast and they do it very often. So if you make it at your home then you can do it according to your taste and enjoy it very often. If you would realize that you are having this regularly, then you can apply less butter or make it less spicy according to your taste.
I love this aloo paratha with dahi (curd) or raita and aachar (pickle). Paratha (or parantha) itself has many varieties like gobi (cauliflower) paratha, paneer (Indian cottage cheese) paratha, onion paratha, methi paratha, lachcha paratha, plain paratha etc.
Always fry with butter and serve it hot. Many people use onion and grated ginger to make aloo ka paratha whereas some people do not like onion or ginger. So it is completely optional that you may use it as ingredients or make it without those ingredients. I like to fry it with minimum butter and use extra butter at the time of eating paratha if additional butter is needed.
But enjoying alu paratha at Punjabi dhaba gives different experience due to its ambiance. If you have not yet tasted then try it at home or atleast have it at Punjabi dhaba sitting on ‘char pai‘ (netted bed). Some city restaurants also tried to create same ambiance by using ‘char pai’.
Aloo paratha recipe :
For paratha :
- Wheat flour – 1.5 cup
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Water – as required
- Salt – according to taste
For aloo stuffing :
- Aloo – 3 medium sized
- Green chilies – 3 large sized (small pieces)
- Onion – 1 large sized (chopped)
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Chat masala – 1/2 tea spoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 3 table spoons
- Boil 3 medium sized potatoes (aloo) and keep aside. Use pressure cooker to save time and energy
- Take 1.5 cup of wheat flour, oil and salt. Now mix those well
- Add water as as required to make soft dough by kneading flour mixture
- Keep flour dough aside to set for 20 min
- Now take those boiled potatoes and peel off skin and smash all potatoes
- Heat a kadai and heat it for 2 min and give 2 – 3 table spoon of oil and fry onion
- Mix all ingredients for potato stuffing and add smashed potatoes too
- Take soft dough and make 5-6 small balls and also divide aloo stuffing into same number of parts
- Roll small ball to make circular shape and put one part of aloo stuffing
- Now close each side of small circle and cover aloo stuffing properly
- Now make circle by rolling till aloo stuffing be covered within that
- Put a tava (pan) on oven and heat for 3 min
- Put uncooked aloo paratha on hot tava and apply butter to fry
- Cook both sides of paratha and serve hot
Additional tips :
Serve aloo paratha with raita or dahi and pickle. Cucumber or onion raita will be best with paratha. You can serve with plain raita or dahi too. You can avoid onion to add in aloo stuffing if you do not like it.